Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Notes

A grey and gloomy day. I'm glad that I finished - finished, hah. Finished for the moment -- the mowing yesterday. I wouldn't be able to do it in the drizzle, and even if it weren't, I wouldn't feel like it. Glum day.

Last night I made a different meal -- it was called 'mini lasagnas'; ground beef and such in a wonton wrapper, not bad but not great. While I was chopping the onion I glanced over to where the beef was cooking - which turned out to be a mistake, as the rapid dotting of the counter with bright red blood alerted me. As things go, it wasn't that bad a cut, but it bled furiously. You talk about products that could use improvement, I'll give you one: BandAids. It's always difficult to open those damn things anyway, and when your thumb, one of the grippers trying to do tear open that stupid wrapper, is bleeding, it is much more difficult. They need a better wrapper - one that stays secure yet releases easily. Okay, I know that's a contradiction.

This morning, the tip of my thumb looks like Rocky's face. I keep looking at it, hoping that this time, it'll be back to normal. Which it will, soon enough, but I want it now.

I told my French teacher that the other night I was thinking about a French phrase as I was going to sleep, one that I for the life of me couldn't figure out, couldn't clearly translate, and it abruptly popped into my head that the phrase was a) negative and b) in the passé composé (aka past) tense. I think that the teacher now thinks I'm a little weird, to be thinking about this stuff while I'm going to sleep. But I'm like that with French. I have to understand it. Last night I was reading a grammar guide, and for the first time I actually understood, as distinct from hell I don't know, just memorize it why you say J'achete du pain when you want to say I buy some bread and not J'achete le pain, or J'achete de pain. ( I hate that Google Translate will translate all three of those as the same phrase.) The du, which is a contraction of de, of, and le, the, just kept throwing me. It didn't make sense. And now it does. Well, for the moment, anyway. Of course, I still don't understand, oh, about eighty billion other things about the language. Like why, to negate it, you use de -- Je n'achete pas de pain. A little consistancy here, people, please!

I am now officially tired of Google's Gumby.

I feel like baking. I feel like studying French. I feel like taking a nap. Guess which one I'm likely to do first?

No comments: