Saturday, October 15, 2011

Movements

I was thinking about the various Occupy movements last night, as well as the fringe political groups such as the Tea Party, the Coffee Party, and all of that.

I have to admit, some of the scare me, both for what they espouse, and for their methods. I tend to be a bit alarmist, but when I see what happened in London, I can easily see that happening here. While the idea of fat cats running - literally - for their lives is amusing, it's not a suitable method for engaging substantive healthy change. It shows that there is a deep-rooted and broad-based resentment of the way that this country has evolved over the last fifteen years, but it doesn't give a clear indicator of the direction in which we should go. For each segment of these people who want to see the government control the economy more, or enforce strictures on business, there is one that wants to see a freer economy, one less tied down. People who glibly deal in macroeconomics might be able to see how both of those forces and their compatriots can be melded into one cohesive change movement, but I cannot.


I'll bet, though, that both major political parties are working feverishly to try and harness these movements for their own gain.

2 comments:

Tabor said...

Powerlessness is a very dangerous state to be in, because these people think the only choice they have is violence. Clearly democratic representation is not working.

Cerulean Bill said...

The movements make the rise of a demagogue possible.

Though I'd bet that's how some see Obama.