Saturday, September 24, 2011

Data

I thought that this year, with the mento, I'd review his grades routinely. I wanted to do this myself, presenting him with the news like a deus ex machina, but the school wouldn't give me access. Which is I think stupid, but what are you going to do.

So when we met for the first time today, I had him sign in and look at his grades himself. He was astonished. He had Fs in three classes, one month into the term. He said that there were at least three things he could find and turn in to try to ameliorate them. I said we'd meet on Tuesday and talk about those where he had problems so that he try to finish them.

Now, I won't take this to the bank. This kid has a real out-of-sight, out-of-mind problem. Even sitting there with a notecard in front of him, he almost didn't write down what he said he'd finish this weekend. I fully expect that when we meet, he won't have done any of them.

But now he knows, and he knows that I know. It's a start.

No comments: