Saturday, October 02, 2010

Le Petit Dejeuner

I usually enjoy making breakfast. We don't put a lot of effort into it, but even simple ones, like French Toast and Sausage, I enjoy. When we do put effort into it, like when we make a frittatta (did I spell that right?) or a breakfast burrito (which is way too much effort to do routinely, much as I'd enjoy having one frequently), it can be almost magical. Waffles, bacon, juice, coffee, maybe even some kind of pastry -- yeah, that can be goodness.

But when it's just me, and it takes five minutes to set up to make French Toast - put out the egg, milk, butter, bread, heat the pan, cook it - and then two minutes to plate it, put out utensils, pour the syrup, pour the creamer, scoop the sweetener, then three minutes to eat, and five minutes to clean up afterward --- well, somehow, it's not quite as magical. It's more like all that effort for two slices of bread? Maybe I'll just have cereal.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Same thing happens to me with a lot of meals since I cook for myself most of the time. Why put in the effort for just me?
Luckily my roommates like to have shared dinners so making my favorite meal, tacos, doesn't seem like such a chore.

Cerulean Bill said...

I was about to say that tacos are easy. Then I thought shredded cheese...sour cream....salsa...and of course the meat, seasoned... and I have to agree. Fun to eat if someone ELSE makes them. Went to a relatives house where they have 5 kids, and they just set out a buffet, including a slow-cooker of the meat. You want it, help yourself!