Sunday, October 03, 2010

Events

This morning, the Hershey Half, or half-marathon (I suppose that calling it a 'mara', or a 'thon', didn't have the same ring) was held. My trainer was planing to run in it; all thirteen or so miles. I was going to go out there to wish her well, but it turns out that they were expecting two thousand five hundred entrants, so the chances of actually seeing her were pretty minimal. She wasn't expecting to do outstandingly well, but to be in the top third or perhaps quarter. Last weekend she ran/biked/swam a different type of marathon, locally, up and down hills, through briar patches and wooded areas, the whole bit. The woman's insane, and I wish her well.

I'm baking cookies, myself. Chocolate/white chocolate chippers.

And we're having a bit of a memorial. My wife showed me some cassette tapes that had been in what was my mother's living room. One is a collection of sentimental music -- Love is Blue, for example -- done in a lush style by the Billy Vaughn orchestra. We're playing the tape now. She died just about one year ago, and we still miss her.



4 comments:

genderist said...

I think cookies are a fantastic idea.

And that's a great picture of your Mom.

Cerulean Bill said...

Thank you. The picture occurred by happenstance. My daughter had our camera, popped in, and took her picture. About a month or so later, she died.

As for the cookies, the recipe, which I've used several times, included finely ground oatmeal. I didn't add it, and now think I should have -- they're on the flat side. A little shortening would have fixed that, I think. And they're a tad greasy. Not sure if that's the white chocolate chips -- I don't bake with them all that often. Not that any of this will keep them from getting eaten!

genderist said...

You can just see the joy in her eyes. :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, it was her only grandchild....