Friday, October 08, 2010

Fridays Fumbles

This morning, I woke up thinking about my dream, which was on the strange side, and about people.

The dream was, I was in a crowd of people in a futuristic office building. I glanced down at a shiny black glass wall and realized that someone was projecting a scrolling image on it -- one that would not be visible to the naked eye, but which, if you had the right intra-ocular device, could be seen. The image was numbers and charts. I realized almost immediately that it was a biochemical readout of me - height, weight, blood pressure, dozens of other values. This was very strange, because the devices to do such remote monitoring were pretty bulky, and no one in the area had one. Then it occurred to me that if someone near me had an intercept device, they could be intercepting the monitoring being done by a device further away, and simply displaying it. I looked up, and almost immediately saw the actual monitor embedded in a wall. But who was intercepting it? I looked to my left, and the person there immediately looked away. So that was who. But why?

And I realized that my sensation of disappointment that our summer student has been completely uninterested in talking with us on a recurring basis is reminiscent of my feeling of disappointment, years ago, when I figured out that my friend, the cardio doctor, wasn't interested in being a friend. Sort of like Here's these people, I want them to really like me, but they don't.

Today, I go to the gym (what a surprise), and study French (le ditto). And maybe mow the front lawn. What fun!

No comments: