Saturday, February 13, 2010

Daughta Oughta

Stray notes --

After using a line from a currently famous song more times than probably I should have, I turned to my wife today, after she complained that her elbow hurt, and suggested that she try resting the arm with a sling. You know, I said, If it hurts you then you oughta put a sling on it. My daughter looked at me and said I wish to God that you'd never heard of that song.

S
he got some more birthday gifts yesterday -- a nice lightweight suitcase for her trip to France (which we're funding), as well as some cash from two relatives. We suggested that she bank it as part of saving for the trip. Aren't you paying for it? she asked, astonished. Yes, we are, we replied, but that would be for spending money. You know, gifts, meals, that sort of thing. You're not paying for that???? Uh, gee, we thought three thousand dollars for the trip itself was pretty remarkable all by itself. Apparently not.

Last night, I asked her if she'd brought home materials to review for all of her major courses. Yeah, except Science, but I don't need -- What you need, I interrupted, is to review every major subject, every weekend. Don't you recall agreeing to that? Well, sorry, she said, aggrieved, I forgot! Okay, I said, then I guess we'll forget about signing you up for karate as we'd said. What??? You can't do that! That was the deal, remember, I said. I - I.... guess I could get the book from someone in my class. Yeah, good idea.

No comments: