Wednesday, June 05, 2013

Surprised

I got a surprise today.

I came across a post on a website saying that the US Capitol Police wouldn't let an organization get a permit for a demonstration until they showed the police their organization's website.

I thought well, that's uncalled for.  What the hell?  And then I noticed that the organization was a branch of the Tea Party, for whom I have no use at all.  Still, fair's fair, so I put a comment there which said something like I am not a supporter of the Tea Party, but this is unconscionable and intolerable.  I figured I would get a response, and I wouldn't like it. Figured it would say Well the hell with you if you don't support us, you bastard.

I did get a response.

It said something like I am a supporter of the Tea Party, and I thank you for being willing to step outside the lines to express your support on this issue.

I was astonished. Civility? 

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I am hoping this was not the demonstration of thousands of people on the 4th of July that plan to show up with loaded guns and parade around the mall! I do not care what party they support, I think it will intimidate the hell out of honest patriotic people that want to go to the mall on the Day of our Independence. Now, if they want to bring loaded muskets as supported in the Second Amendment I am OK with that.

Cerulean Bill said...

To be honest, I don't recall. But to me the key point is that the police were saying 'we want to know more about you before we'll let you have a demonstation here'. Everybody and his brother get to do this, but these folks need to prove themselves first? Boy, that certainly plays to their distrust of the government. Certainly, put the same restrictions on them as you would on anyone else, but not more.

Unknown said...

Doesn't matter if it plays to the politics or plays in San Fransisco, wrong is wrong.
The right to free speech is the hardest right to uphold simply because there are SO many people who, when they open their mouth, their brains leak out there instead of out their arsehole.
As far as loaded guns go....I am with Tabor, muskets would be kind of cute, though of course, just as dangerous.

Speaking of which, one of my jobs is "gunsmith", (for antique firearms only) and I have three more muskets to finish up for the 78th Highlanders, in support of their re-enactment of the 200th anniversary of the time a bunch of pesky Colonials decided to cross the St. Lawrence and discovered that their "Manifest Destiny" was, um, shattered under the aimed fire of an Orderly Militia, supported by a late arriving Federal force. You should drop into the Crysler's Farm re-enactment on the 16th of July Bill...it'll be a helluva a party!
I have a firkin of cider bubbling away to celebrate! Be there or be square...

Cerulean Bill said...

It sounds like fun. Alas, I won't be able to make it, because I'll be in France, saying things like Um, je voudrais une...pain au chocolat??? and wondering why they gave me toast with cheese or something equally inexplicable.