Saturday, June 08, 2013

Colors

I found this on one of the blogs that I read.


"My second grade teacher liked to ask us,
“How do you feel today, on a scale of one to ten?”
Ten always meant I’m super, thank you
and one was always not today, Mrs. MacAuley, not today.
But I never liked numbers, they would always
twist and rebel against my mind so I chose
to speak in colors instead.



January third - I am the color
of mint chocolate chip ice cream
but I’ve eaten all the chocolate chips.
I am calm.


February seventh - I am a bruise of
blues and violets today. I think it would
be best if I sat by the window.
These are unhappy colors.


April eleventh - I am turquoise, I am magenta,
I am every color in the rainbow.


April thirtieth - I am gray, I am silent.

May first - I am orange, the color of melting
creamsicles on a beach in July.


June twelfth - I am as yellow as the school bus
that will bring me home to summer. I am free.


Twelve years later, I still use colors.
The winter makes me feel cobalt blue, the ocean
turns me a seafoam green. Violets and purples
leave me uneasy and scarlet is a fever of fury.
Some nights I drown in shades of navy, denim,
and cornflower but other nights I meditate in forests of
harlequin and shamrock. 


But you,
you leave me a blinding white followed by a soft yellow:
the color of sunlight after a period of darkness."

No comments: