Saturday, February 12, 2011

Lingua Franca

I've created a couple of large (5x7) index cards with key concepts in French that I want to drill myself on while I'm waiting at stop lights, or for my daughter. One has three verbs - to be, to have, and to want - with the conjugations for past (passe composé), present, and future; at the bottom, I've got basic French possessive adjectives, which is one of my many weak points.

I was just looking at the card's source, and noted that the passe composé for you went was Vous êtes allés, which I suppose would be literally translated as You are went, or You are gone. I wondered if the êtes was pronounced ET or ETS, so I went to the Forvo site and looked it up. Apparently, it can be both, though it's more likely to be just the first. Along the way, I found these useful phrases:


Vous êtes très belle.

Vous etes d'ou ?

Êtes vous mariés ou célibataires?


Handy language, French.

2 comments:

genderist said...

I was going to say that we pronounced it as ET, sans the "s" sound. But, then again, I went to little county podunk high school and wouldn't count any of our pronunciation as standard.

Cerulean Bill said...

Most of them do appear not to have that trailing S. But in the guy's second iteration, he used it. Wonder if that was intended to be plural?