Monday, February 07, 2011

Hear This

I posted a video some time ago which was an ad for, I think, Motorola and their marvelous noise cancelling Bluetooth headset. It showed a woman having a casual conversation while dozens of Santas rang loud bells near her. She was unfazed, carrying on her conversation with elan. I didn't completely believe the ad -- does anyone make totally honest ads? -- but still, I thought, that Bluetooth must be pretty cool. Well, now, with our new phone, I have BT, and I think: not bad. Not great, but not bad.

I've been delighted to find out that I could be walking down the street, or driving, and just tell the phone to call a name in my Contacts list, or to dial a specific number, and it would. Of course, I've also had the classic Did you say....Mozambique? responses a couple of times. That's the one that leads to you looking like a crazy person as you drive down the road, shouting No, dammit, I said CALL MONIQUE! Followed by Did you say Call For A Peek? Well, actually....NO, DAMMIT!!!

In fact, as I walked back to the car, talking to my wife (and thinking about that comedian who said that now you really have to look for the earpiece to tell whether this muttering person approaching you is a crazy person or a normal one), I thought Wouldn't it be cool to be able to say UNLOCK VAN as I approached? Or even Call Home, Connect to the Computer That's On The Kitchen Table, Look up the Recipe for Meatloaf And Tell Me How Much Ground Beef I Need? And While You're There, Check My Email. (This from a guy who refused to pay for a Data Plan so that I could do it from the phone.) Still - yeah. That'd be cool.

But till then....this is okay.

Did you say Make My Day?

No comments: