Thursday, September 01, 2005

Remembering the Chair in Front

Its pretty easy for me to sit back and carp at the president (he's such an easy target, sometimes), and the director of FEMA, and all of that, but there's something I have to remember.

Years ago, I would routinely attend a morning meeting of the managers for the data center where I worked, and I always would think -- and sometimes say -- that the meeting could certainly be run more effectively and efficiently than it was. One day, the people who ran it offered me the chance to do that, and so I did -- sat in the chair up front, moderated the discussions, kept people on track.

It was some of the hardest work I've ever done, and I wasn't particularly good at it.

I need to remember how much harder it is to be the person who has to have the answers.

No comments: