Monday, September 05, 2005

Labor Day

This has been a pleasant morning.

It started with coffee, sausage, and a new recipe for French Toast. It's a little bit of work, but it's excellent:

French Toast, Orange, Baked
8 slices French or Italian bread..1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup brown sugar..1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp grated orange rind..4 eggs, slightly beaten
2/3 cups orange juice..Powdered sugar


Melt butter or margarine in a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
Mix together brown sugar, cinnamon and orange rind
Sprinkle evenly over melted butter.
Mix together eggs and orange juice.
Dip bread slices in liquid mixture and place in prepared pan.
Pour any leftover liquid over bread slices.
Bake at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes or until golden brown.
Turn out of pan immediately. Sprinkle with powdered sugar.


While this was cooking, my daughter was marching around in the kitchen, singing songs from the soundtrack of 1776: The Musical, and I was chiming in with the parts that I remembered and liked. Her particular favorite was Richard Henry Lee's bold statements, sung with and at John Adams, Bejamin Franklin, and the rest:


The Lees of Old Virginia
Lee:My name is Richard Henry Lee; Virginia is my home
My name is Richard Henry Lee; Virginia is my home
And my horses turn to glue if I can't deliver
Unto you a resolution on independency!

For I am FFV, the first familyIn the sovereign colony of Virginia
Yes I am FFV, the oldest familyin the oldest colony in America
And may the British burn my land if I can't deliver
To your hand a resolution on independency!
You see it's here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee
And everywhere-a-Lee-a-Lee
Social-Lee, political-Lee, financial-Lee, natural-Lee
Internal-Lee, external-Lee, fraternal-Lee, eternal-Lee
The FFV, the first familyIn the sovereign colony of Virginia
And may my wife refuse my bed if I can't deliver
As I said a resolution on independency

They say that God in heaven is everybody's God
I'll admit that God in heaven is everybody's God
But I tell you, John, with pride, God leans
A little on the side of the Lees, the Lees of old Virgina!
You see it's here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee
And everywhere-a-Lee-a-Lee
Here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee
And everywhere-a-Lee
Look out!
There's Arthur Lee, Bobby Lee
And General Lighthorse Harry LeeWilly Lee, Jesse Lee
Franklin:And Richard H.! Lee:That's me!
And may my blood stop running blue if I can't deliver
Unto you a resolution on independency!
Yes sir, by God, it's here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee
Come on boys join in with me!
Here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee!
Franklin:When do you leave?
Lee:Immediate-Lee!Here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee!
Franklin:When will you return?
Lee:Short-Lee!Here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee!
And I'll come back triumphant-Lee!Here-a-Lee, there-a-Lee!
Everywhere a-Lee-a-Lee
Forward ho!

And then we spent some time mulling over disaster recovery plans -- what makes them work, what keeps them from working. Because the truth is that any decent DR plan is WAY HARD to do, requires a mix of excruciating detail and generous flexibility, and can only be satisfactorily tested by actually doing it. Again and again and again.

Which is not fun.

2 comments:

Angie said...

My 7th grade social studies class watched 1776 during class time. At one point, I looked around and I was the only person except the teacher who was awake. :) I love that movie!

Cerulean Bill said...

I can do long sections of the 'sit down, John ' sequence. Ditto the 'waiting for the egg to hatch' piece. About the only piece I don't like is Momma, Look Sharp.