Saturday, September 03, 2005

Aboard the ARC

I just had a terrific experience, one that's left me wired and unable to sleep though its now 1:15 AM.

I spent three hours in a call center, taking call-in donations for the American Red Cross during the television specials aired last night. I spoke to people in Utah and Pennsylvania and California and Florida; people who gave ten dollars and one who gave fifteen hundred. A woman wanted to know where she could donate extra knives and forks, and if she could donate blood even though she had a cold; another wanted to know if we would accept donations via money order, another wanted to know how her church group could donate 'because this has been lying heavy on my heart'. They spoke clearly and with thick accents, slowly and hurriedly, hesitantly and firmly.

They were all generous, they were all wonderful, and I thank every one of them from the bottom of my heart.

Wow.

4 comments:

Nan said...

Feels good to be able to do something to help doesn't it?

Cerulean Bill said...

Indeed it does. And it wasn't just me. I noticed others getting wired. They just wanted to keep doing this, and were almost grumpy when calls slacked off. I'm very glad I did it.

Angie said...

Kudos for you and everyone you talked to tonight! :)

Cerulean Bill said...

They stick in your mind, for sure. I think I'll always remember one of them: a woman who said she was a first grade teacher in a small town in Utah, but she managed to give $100. I figure that had to be a significant hit for her. Don't get me wrong; all of the donations were appreciated, but people like her -- they did even more. They made me feel proud.