Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Raindrops on Roses

No, wait, this post is about my least favorite things. To wit:

Incompetence. I have a very rigid view of what that is. Basically, its anyone delivering a service and not doing it quickly and efficiently. I admit that I can be unfairly harsh in assessing that, which leads me to LFT number two.

Superiority. As in, acting as if 'This kind of crap is okay for other people, but dammed if I'm going to stand for it." I don't do that a lot, but I usually feel shabby after I do.

In this case, it was going to a local clinic for a drug screening, part of my company's getting the data processing contract for a company that is paranoid about who it lets onto its systems. Fair enough, its their data. Went there, read the sign on the wall 'Sign in'. Did it. Half an hour later, got called to fill out a form and wait some more. Much more? I asked. At least an hour, they said.

I booked.

Okay, what could they have done differently, given that they likely got the contract because they're the lowest bidder? Because I always think that something can be done.

a) change the sign to say 'Sign in, grab a form, fill it out'
b) post a changing sign -- wait is at least XX minutes. Or hours.
c) have scheduled appointments

Free coffee (of a decent variety) and lots of magazines would be nice, too -- what the heck, a WiFi hot spot, while I'm at it. But even I know when I'm expecting too much.

Sheesh.

No comments: