Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Media

We occasionally think about upgrading our electronic equipment, and part of that is thinking about taping. We don't record very much -- in the last three years, its been consistently West Wing and House -- so its not that big a deal. But we do like the idea of services such as Tivo, to the point where I looked into getting it, once. I didn't, for the same reason that we dropped Netflix -- we just don't watch enough television to make the cost worthwhile.

Tonight I actually did watch the tube for a while, though, waiting for my wife to get back from an errand. I saw a little bit of E Ring and Criminal Minds. I think I see why disparaging comments have been made about them. E Ring's dialog was implausible as all get out, and Criminal Minds was just tough to follow -- very, very bright people talking very, very fast, with lots of glitterry camera angles and shots. Too bad, in a way, because it looked decent. Last night we taped, but didn't watch, Commander in Chief. I find it hard to believe that show will survive, because the premise is implausible. The role would be tough to pull off -- the woman playing the lead has to be smart, soft, forthright, coy, commanding, and non-threatening. Last person to try that was Kathryn Janeway, and she at least had a Vulcan and photon torpedoes.

Truth is, though, I never know what I'll like till I see it. I tuned in to House because of the consistently good word of mouth about it; ditto West Wing, but other shows, I just happened to find. Gilmore Girls, for example; I don't look for it (whats the buzz phrase, 'destination television'?), but if I come across it, I'll stay and watch for a while. I just like the acting of the lead women there -- they're believable. But I have to see a program to know that -- can't believe any of the hype. Heck, I saw tonight where ABC was saying that Commander in Chief was already the hit of the season. After one show!

Course, I guess they lucked out on the name. Given how insightful TV people can be, bet somebody wanted to name it Commander in Skirts.

No comments: