Thursday, September 08, 2005

Calcification

I don't imagine that any clear and truthful answer will surface in the matter of the defense of New Orleans against the ravages of Katrina. Though I haven't been reading the papers, I believe that positions are hardening, because that is what they do when the people involved are public figures. A public figure almost never admits failure, because to do so makes them look weak, and it encourages the opposing party or parties to attack them. While a 9-11 Commission approach to what happened, and why, and what can be done for the next time would be most appreciated, I don't believe that it will happen.

It is possible that given perfect foresight, the city could have substantially reduced the death toll, and given perfect foresight over years, the city, state, and federal groups could have buttressed the city's flood defenses so as to substantially reduce both the death toll and the devastation. But no matter what, this would have been an extraordinarily destructive event. I doubt any amount of foresight could have completely defended against it. It is to the shame (if they could feel it) of the leaders of this country, as well as the leaders of the state and city, that the redemptive measures which could have been taken were only executed after delay, wrangling, and miscommunication at all levels.

Last night, I woke up repeatedly, thinking of that one old woman, in her wheel chair, and I despaired for us all.
.
.

2 comments:

STAG said...

If I had been a resident of New Orleans, my house would have successfully withstood dozens of hurricanes and nearly as many Chicken Little calls to evacuate. It is not too surprising that some folks just said...well, we got some tins in the cupboard, and sure we can take a power blackout of a week or so.
I think they could be forgiven for sticking it out like I am sure they did so many times before.

Cerulean Bill said...

Its certainly true that if they had heard this kind of thing before, and lived through it, the tendency would be to stay -- particularly if they didn't have a viable alternative. And even if they did, well -- this was their home -- just leaving it, abandoning everything, would be very tough. I sat in a comfortable chair the other night, thinking about what I would take, should I have to leave suddenly and completely, and I started to freak, just a bit.

That said, more should have been done to evacuate them. I don't know if the city could have done more, but more should have been done. If this had been a remote Polynesian island, we would have rolled in and forcibly removed them.

Course, the Polynesians likely wouldn't be armed.