Sunday, July 31, 2005

Imagery

The New York Times magazine last week had an article on the concept of 'framing' as applied to political maneuvering. The concept basically says that you can dramatically enhance the likelihood of acceptance of your position if you 'frame' your observations -- give them a common, acceptable, resonant theme. Framing, as practiced at the moment by Democrats, is the brainchild of George Lakoff, who popularized the concept in 'Don't Think of an Elephant'. (The article closed by noting that however much framing had contributed to the success of the Democrats in blocking some Bush actions, it alone is not sufficient; they need ideas.)

While we were at my sister-in-laws house, I spoke admiringly to my wife about the china that they had -- a cross-hatched pattern from Villeroy and Boch. My wife informed me in a surprisingly crisp tone that the reason she had preferred plain white china with a gold trim for our pattern was that it was classic, would not go out of style, and could be replenished at will. The V&B I'd admired was out of stock, she noted, and had been for several years.

I don't know why, but those two episodes -- the concept of framing, and 'our china is classic' -- ring the same bell for me.

"Does the name Pavlov ring a bell?"

4 comments:

STAG said...

Oh Dude, you DIDN'T really compare your wife's sister's taste in china to your wife's? And you are still alive? And married?

Cerulean Bill said...

Actually, it wasn't a comparison, it was simply a statement that I liked my sister in laws pattern. And yes, still married, quite happily.

Narie said...

I have to admit, when I first read this last night, I did not see the connection. I will readily admit to being a bit slow on the uptake at times. That or it was the wine making me fuzzy. But this evening, clear-headed as I can be, I do get the connection, a little light bulb went off. I also think your wife is very astute, though I suspect that's something you are well aware of already :)

Cerulean Bill said...

Yes, Narie, very much so. She's a terrific person, and I am amazingly lucky to be married to her.