Monday, July 04, 2005

What's This Fire Thing All About?

Okay, I'm not that far behind the power curve. Yet clearly, based on something I just read in the Sunday Time's Business section, I'm nowhere near the leading edge when it comes to podcasting.

Prior to reading the article, I thought it was what many people apparently think it is -- ie, broadcasting directly from or to iPods. Having no interest in buying an iPod, I would ignore anything I saw on the topic. Silly frippery.

Now, however, I see that quite to the contrary, podcasting means being able to get audio on demand, with or without an iPod. And it means getting audio both from painfully sincere amateurs (Um, okay, so this is the ..um..Beach Boys, who are like really cool...) and slick professionals. What, I think? Audio from WGBH? An update on happenings in the field of expert systems? Really good music from people I've never heard of before?

Free? And for a bearable fee, books, magazines, newspapers?

Gee, I thought....hook it into my car's audio, it could provide on-demand sounds I want to hear during my commute, not what the local stations feel like broadcasting then. Hmm, the good ones I could save and relisten to. Wow, you could even listen to something you missed on public broadcasting, first time out. And free? Zounds.

Hey, you know, this fire thing could just catch on.

No comments: