Monday, July 18, 2005

Wheeling

This was the Weekend of Heavy Driving.

I had promised my wife that we would drive from our home in lower-central Pennsylvania to her sister's home in far eastern Connecticut so that she could attend the surprise shower for her nephew's fiancee. We would go up on Saturday, come home on Sunday.

I know it would be a long drive -- it's about six hours, nonstop, portal to portal. I did not know that it would be seven hours going up, including a stop for lunch. And though I knew that traffic going back down 95 on Sunday would be heavy, I did not know that that meant intermittant dead stops, coupled with torrential rains that slowed us way down at times. Listening to the truckers on the CB helped keep us awake, but still -- seven hours up became almost eight, coming back. It was a tough ride, and a long weekend.

I did get a pizza from Mystic Pizza that was pretty good. Some gelato, too.

More important, the trip made my wife happy, and that made the weekend great.

No comments: