Monday, July 18, 2005

Strawberries and Salad Dressing

One concept that I've never understood is the idea of 'foods that go well together'. I'm thinking particularly of people who say that certain cheeses enhance the quality of certain wines. I've always been of the opinion that these people need to get a life -- food is food, and it tastes as it tastes. Though I know some foods are particularly appreciated as certain times -- the classic cold beer on a hot day -- and some foods just cannot be improved on -- a slice of watermelon; I don't think I've ever had a bad one -- the idea that the particular desirability of some foods is improved when they're eaten together -- no, no, just foodie nonsense.

Then I happened to have a salad which had some strawberries on it.

The salad was coated with a honey-mustard salad dressing, and some of the dressing got on the strawberries. The effect was magical. Somehow the astringent flavor of the dressing offset the sweetness of the berries, leaving a perfectly delightful combination. I have never turned down a ripe strawberry, but now I have to judge -- put it in a salad? Or wash and eat it as is?

A wonderful problem.

No comments: