Friday, December 31, 2004

Why CVS Doesn't Mean CVS

I'm given to understand that the name CVS (the pharmacy chain) stands for Courtesy, Value,Service. I picked that up from an article about the corporation's owner, several years ago, and as the article basically said that the guy was a greedy thug, it's possible that it actually stands for something way less complimentary.

There's a branch of the chain (why don't we call it a 'link' of the chain?) not too far from us, and for most of the time that we've lived here, we would do our drug stuff there. Cleanup in aisle three, cocaine spill, was always fun. But over time, we found that we could order drugs through the mail. It was usually cheaper, and it was usually more convenient. And, more important, it always meant that we didn't have to deal with the people behind the pharmacist's counter. That was the key selling point for us, not having to deal with those folks. Never liked that. Of their two pharmacists, one was supercilious, and of their rotating staff of clerks, most were dumb. Not all, but most.

This afternoon I remembered that again. My partner ran out of a drug, and the mail order people hadn't notified us till late that the renewal was going to be delayed. So, sigh, I volunteered to go. Buckle on the emotional shield, buttress the insulation around the reaction emotions. I knew I would very likely get irritated, because That Is What They Do. Even my mother, who would speak well of Attila the Hun, gets irritated by them.

Told the clerk that I was there to pick up an order. She found it, and her eyes widened. This is expensive! she announced loudly. I love that part. A quiet voice doesn't seem to be in the repetoire of these people. Hey, Mr. Hendricks, that anti-itch cream working out okay for you? Those new style panty liners to your likin', Miz Jackson? While I was there, the clerk spoke loudly to two people. Both elderly, so we know they must have been hard of hearing, right? Sigh.

I told her I'd write a check for it, and she stared at me. This is OVER TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS! she announced loudly. I contemplated a gentle No Shit, Sherlock, but that would have been crude. So I smiled, and said How much? And wrote the check. She looked at it for a moment -- perhaps not used to the concept of people just paying for something -- and handed over the drugs.

Another sale for mail-order drugs, hey?

4 comments:

Nathan Frampton said...

Do you have the CVS extra care card? I am always getting coupons from it, but forget to use it.

Happy New Year! Interesting blog.

You may want to check out my blog "Framptonia" at nathanframpton.blogspot.com, I think you would find it interesting. I have a few contributors. We all have different views so there are some great discussions.

You may also want to try blog explosion to get more readers on your blog. The more Blogs you read, the more traffic you get. I have a blog explosion link on my blog if you want to check it out.

Cerulean Bill said...

I will do that, thanks. And thank you for your comments. Nice to know that I'm not talking entirely into an empty room ! (g)

Stacey said...

All of our Eckerd's drug stores just recently got bought and changed to CVS. Yuck, the service and products have gone downhill. So I have switched over to Walgreen's.

Happy New Year!!

Cerulean Bill said...

Seems to me I recall Eckherds from when I lived in the Dallas, Texas area. Haven't seen much in the north. I suppose it is possible for CVS -- or any other company -- to improve upon the company it buys, but that sure doesn't seem to be the rule.

I hope you and all you care about have a wonderful 2005, filled with happiness and satisfaction.