Monday, December 27, 2004

Decimal Points

Several years ago, some friends went to Spain and, while there, bought a jacket for the husband as a spur of the moment thing. They translated the exchange rate, decided well, it was a little pricy -- about $80 -- but what the heck, it was a splurge on a trip. When they'd been back home for a while, one of them was processing the credit card bill from the trip and stopped in shock. Apparently, when they'd done the math of the exchange rate, they'd slipped a decimal point.

Last week, doing last minute shopping at a Nordstroms, I bought several items for my partner, including a nice red jacket, charged them, went home. At the grand unveiling, she tried it on and liked it. It was then put away along with the other gifts.

This morning, looking at the outstanding credit card balance, I was stunned. Turned out the nice jacket was not $41.50... I'd slipped a decimal point.

I dithered for a bit, then talked with the partner, who, without taking a breath said 'Ship it back'. And its in a box now, waiting to go back.

This evening, she turned to me and thanked me. For what, I asked. "I've never worn anything that expensive before", she said.

Is she great, or what?

2 comments:

Nan said...

This reminded me of the urban folktale of the Neiman Marcus Cookie Recipe which made the rounds years ago as a chain letter. The gist of it was that someone had remarked that the cookie they had eaten at Neiman Marcus was wonderful and asked for the recipe. They were told it was two-fifty. When the statement came, you guessed it, it was two-hundred and fifty, non-refundable. So the person was getting even with the company and sending it for free in the form of a chain letter to everyone possible. It's a good thing you kept the receipt for the jacket. I don't think it would do well in a chain letter. (And, yes, you've got a great gal there.)

Cerulean Bill said...

Hmmm...a jacket as part of a chain letter.. might work if the garment was made of chain mail. (groan)