Friday, December 17, 2004

Things of Quality

I like it when I can use things that are made well. Usually, the things that I use every day are 'good enough' -- not slapdash, but not elegant and well-formed, either. Which I suppose is fair: after all, I'm not elegant or well-formed, either. But the other day I got the opportunity to use something that is made well.

Every year, we have a small, quiet post-holiday season get-together at our house as a way of decompressing from The Holiday Season. While the tree is still up, and the house is still decorated, we invite several neighbors and friends to come over and, as the invitation says,
Come when you want, talk a bit, have some munchies, listen to holiday music, relax. And you don’t even have to clean up afterward. What could be better?
The last couple of years, we put this note on an index card and dropped it into their mailboxes, but this year I wanted to do it a little differently. My wife found a notecard in a stationery store while she was in Philadelphia. I liked it at first sight. It has a good heft, the style is nice, the colors are nice. Yes, it's expensive, but not wildly so. I think it's worth it-- so much so that after looking locally, I went to the web site of the people who make it and bought two more packets, just to have them.

http://www.crane.com/PrdSell.aspx?Name=pc3296_EcruwhiteCardwithHunterGreenBorder

Good stuff.

No comments: