Sunday, December 12, 2004

Air Girl Scout

If my daughter's girl scout troop got the use of a corporate jet to fly to a major city for a day trip, I'd be surprised and delighted.

A friend who is a Girl Scout troop leader, and is hyperactive even without that stimulus, is a manager at a local coporation. She has arranged for her troop to have use of the corporate jet for a day trip.

Why do I think that this is unfair?. What I think is, that reaction says something unflattering about me and my motivations. It suggests that I envy good fortune when it comes to others, if I think it didn't have an equal chance of coming to me or mine.

Gosh, self analysis is fun......

2 comments:

Angie said...

Wow--I'm a GS trainer and that is the most awesome field trip I've ever heard of. I can't imagine the paperwork involved, but wow--does it sound like fun. Can I join your daughter's GS troop? They can pick me up in the jet for meetings. ;-)

Cerulean Bill said...

They'd be delighted to have you, A, but I should point out that it wasn't my daughter's troop, but rather the troop of a friend of ours. It certainly blew us away when we learned of it. Perhaps that sort of thing is routine at Troop Beverly Hills (yawn -- pick me up in the JetRanger, why don't you?), but it's not the norm here, where getting picked up by a minivan that's actually clean is more along the lines of what you'd expect.

Years ago, when I lived in South Dakota, I had this great idea of chartering a commercial jet for a flight from SD down to someplace warmer for the holidays. I got in touch with Western Air, but never heard back from them. Now, I understand, there are a fair number of fractional-ownership or leasing arrangements that can be made, so I wouldn't give up on the idea just yet. You may still have the opportunity. Make them paint the GS logo on the outside, too. I know that the motto is Every Girl, Every Where, but I'll bet the honchos in GS Command never imagined that to mean a Lear Jet at 35,000 feet (g).