Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Status

I’m in a generally glum mood.  

I had problems with the computer this morning, for one. Antivirus choked, and it wouldn't restart. Then I couldn't get the damn PC to restart in Safe Mode so I could run the fix-it software.  When your PC suddenly isn't relitable, it’s like striding purposefully into a room to do something and stubbing your toe – your worldview collapses down to that one aching point, and all you want it for it to stop hurting!!!  Which it finally did, once I'd clawed through Avast's semi-written-in-English instructions.

PCs that make you hold down the Fn key to make function keys work, suck. 

What I thought might be the beginning of a friendship with that French girl seems to have collapsed – please, no comments; I feel stupid enough already.  I think she's making a mistake in her relationship, but it's her life; she didn’t ask me to care, and I suspect would resent it if she knew I did. Plus, I could be wrong. She knows the guy better than I do.   Anyway, I got a blunt reminder that I am an American adult male and she is a French teen female.  Worlds apart. I even managed to get her to snap at me (though not as fiercely as she did at her actual father, in a comment on Twitter). I still like her, still think she's an interesting person who's better than she thinks she is, but I suspect that we won't be rooming together next year.

And I got to go take a blood test this morning – few things are quite so fun as a sterile, cheerless medical office at 715 in the morning.

So, yeah – I could use a little niceness right about now.  I'd bake something, but that'd speak to something else that's annoying me....

No comments: