Thursday, March 22, 2012

Enthusiasm

I had occasion, the other night, to look through a series of post by various people, almost all teen-age girls, who are fanatical followers of Justin Bieber and other entertainers.  This resulted in two conclusions:

I’m glad that my daughter never succumbed to that kind of frenzy.

I can see how people who are the source of that frenzy might succumb easily to thinking they’re above the standards of society.  Even the standards that govern the actions of those in the stratosphere.


And one semi-guilty thought, which I won’t mention.
==============

I mentioned this thought to my wife, and she said that part of the reason she's like that is because we don't get particularly motivated by celebrities.  I suppose that's something.  I mean, I don't fault the kids who are rabid fans of Bieber's or others like him, but I'm stunned by how intense they can be. That's a lot of energy.  Imagine if they directed it toward, say, success in school.

There I go, thinking like a parent again.

1 comment:

Tabor said...

I think is is usually referred to as raging hormones. Teenagers do not have control over this...it is all biological and that is why they have parents.