Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Sitting Like The Sultan

I am, at the moment, sitting like the Sultan of Oompapamowmow, to lift a personage from a commercial of John O'Hurley's that I like very much. The commercial, which is for Drive Insurance, has the character talking in a proud manner about how well his insurance company treats him, remarking at the end that 'they treat him like the Sultan of Oompapamowmow' (or however the country would be pronounced). I liked the title so much that on our recent vacation to Williamsburg, I used it repeatedly when I was happy about something, to the point that my daughter informed me that it was okay for me to be the Sultan on the trip, but once we were home, I would not be the Sultan. Which I thought was fair.

The reason, incidentally, that I am sitting as the Sultan is that I am in a comfortable chair, playing with the laptop, while the cleaning crew swirls around me. And in a few moments, my personal chef will prepare lunch for me. How Sultanish is that?

The playing with the laptop involved downloading Firefox again. I had tried it a few releases ago, and thought it was okay, though not phenomenally better than IE, and in one respect, it was not as good. Alas, that one respect, though minor, happened to be something that I really like to be able to do, and IE lets me, whereas FF does not. But I was reading about some plugins that are available for FF, and thought I would give the product another shot. Anything that negatively affects the hegemony of Microsoft can't be all bad.

This afternoon, we're going over to the school for an open house. Not sure what the content will be, but I like the idea of exhibiting support for my daughter as she makes the transition to middle school. She already has one change: she just found that she needs glasses. She's been complaining off and on that her vision gets blurry at distances, and this was confirmed. She's not happy about it, but we made a strong case for why this is a Good Thing, and I think she accepts it. But either way, the transition to middle school is a moderately big step for her, so we want her to know that we're behind her.

No comments: