Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Free Speech

We were reading through the material sent home by the school regarding use of their computers. One of the phrases caught our attention. It said, essentially, that if your child finds anything on the internet to which you object, it's not the school's fault. I remarked that I would hope they at least have some filtering software on their PCs, and then thought that given that some people object to having such software on library PCs, they'd likely object to having it on school PCs, too.

My wife pointed out that in a library, a librarian can refuse to shelve certain books, or shelve them only in a restricted location, so it ought to logically follow that a librarian could place limits on what was accessible via other media. I said that I agreed, but that people argued that this was a restriction on their right of free speech. I went on to say that I thought that this right was an abused one, and that it had popularly become a right to say whatever you want, wherever you want, without consequence. Further, I thought that a number of people took it to mean that if you wanted to express yourself in a way that others found offensive, you did not give up the right to be paid -- that is, if your movie is offensive to me, I cannot refuse to show it; if your comedy is offensive to me, I cannot censor it. I said that I thought this was wrong -- that if you have the right to speech, it does not mean the right to unlimited speech.

To my surprise, my wife disagreed, saying that it meant exactly that, and that the owner of a medium -- the television station, the source of funds for the art show, whomever -- could not censor what was shown on their medium.

I'll have to think about that, because I respect her opinion.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever wanted to earn residual income but don't have the know-how or the time to learn?Have you ever wanted to generate mass amounts of money working from home but being directed by a simple easy to use system that will guarantee success? If you have answered yes to any of these questions about making money or working from home in your spare time than Visit home business site. It pretty much covers home business today to learn more. With therealincome system you can generate thousands of dollars for you and your family.

STAG said...

Your Blog is great, I'll definitely bookmark it right now. Yeah right!!! They read it all right!


Spammers!!!!

Now here we have a case of free speech in action. What do you think Bill, do they have a right to free speech on your blog?

Angie said...

I think that there are limits to free speech. A privately owned media station has the right to decide what it shows. Should it censor? I don't think so, but it is up to the owner.

I don't believe public libraries should have filters on their computers or censor the material they offer, but they have the right to keep inappropriate materials away from children. They do not have the right to keep records on who accesses those materials. In the interest of protecting our children, I agree with you that public schools should have the option to implement internet filters. Parents and children should be aware of what filters are in place and if there are consequences for viewing inappropriate materials.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, clearly the spammer has good taste, because they said I have a great blog.

If I could censor their access, I would. Since I can't, they do have free speech, even though I wish they didn't. And if I could, they could still put their message out on the same medium, so I'd say they still have free speech.

FS, to allow BS -- what a country !

Nan said...

Bill,
I feel about free speech like I do about tobacco smoke. . . their freedom ends where my nose begins. I don't object to them having the right to say what they want, but I do object to me having to hear or read it. I think filters are appropriate for keeping the content clean.

Also, You can change the setting in your comments to help weed out spammers. Just hit the yes button for SHOW WORD VERIFICATION. Since spam is just randomly sent through, this extra step in commenting keeps them away, at least for now. Cate

Anonymous said...

I'm seeing all this Spam, so I'll be brief. Looking at ideas for mine,short hair styles ,which is about "teen short hair" of course and came across yours which I liked. Nice job ! ---Jack---

Cerulean Bill said...

Good idea. Done.

STAG said...

It looks like you should restrict anonymous posters as well.

Cerulean Bill said...

Is that possible? I didn't know that. I will look into it. thanks.