Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Thinking about that Map

This evening, flipping through channels -- pressing harder on the remote when the channel seemed to have anything about the election -- I stopped and went back to one channel. It was the Weather Channel. I turned to my wife and said 'Isn't it nice to see a map that doesn't have blues, reds, and notes about electoral votes?'

The image of that last map put up with CNN sticks with me. And though I desperately wanted Kerry to win -- my wife said this evening that I seemed to be furious at Kerry, and I was, for most of the day -- I have to reluctantly admit one thing. If Kerry had won Ohio, and therefore the election, resulting in a map that was blue along both coastlines, dipping down across Pennsylvania and into Ohio, then up, and left the other 60% of the states red -- I would have thought that there was something wrong with the map. Because regardless of population centers, it doesn't seem right for someone to get to be President when they haven't won in a majority of the states.

That could be my simplistic view of life, burning me again. Because it could be that, guess what, nobody wins a majority of the states -- more accurately, nobody wins because they won a majority of the states. They win because a majority of the people voted for them, regardless of where those people reside. Just happens that the population density is greater near the water.

Yet for some reason, the idea of winning without winning a majority of the states -- that bothers me.


3 comments:

Cerulean Bill said...

Its what comes of an all-or-nothing attitude -- which is why the Colorado initiative for splitting the electoral vote (if we must have electoral votes) made sense to me. I don't know if that passed, and, truth to tell, at the moment I don't WANT to know.

As for the map that your relative put up, think of it as a dandy dartboard.

Cerulean Bill said...

Robin - check out the maps at http://www-personal.umich.edu/~mejn/election/. Might help your sister understand the world a little better.

Angie said...

Better late than never, right?

The measure failed in Colorado. I have mixed feelings about it. I actually voted against it because Colorado has little electoral power now and we would have none if the most electoral votes any candidate could get from CO was 5. But I do believe that the electoral college is a relic from a different time and that it needs to be modified or gotten rid of entirely.

A link to make you think:
http://writ.news.findlaw.com/amar/20011228.html