Sunday, November 07, 2004

Comfort Food

My tastes in food are plebian. I know that. And I have been willing on occasion to try new foods -- though my idea of new foods tends to be imported strawberry jelly instead of Welch's Grape.

But there are times when I need comfort food, and today was one of them. I am, I think, still disturbed by the outcome of the election. I thought I was getting over it -- after all, I started thinking about politics (and how to handle this calamity which has befallen my country), and economics (and how to save my money when this maniac's fiscal policies cause our economic structure to crash around me) . Hey, I was getting over it.

Apparently not. I've been sleeping a lot, ten hours last night, an hour today, and even though today was atypically beautiful and warm, I was tense, out-of-sorts. Even a good book hasn't helped.

So, tonight we had comfort food. Spaghetti and home made meatballs. The meatballs are superlative (he said modestly); significant ingredients include extra bread crumbs, for softness, and lots of parmesan cheese, for tang. Half of the batch was reserved for future use, and we had six of the remainder, simmered in and served in Newman's Marinara (excellent stuff). And we even had some wine.

Bliss.

6 comments:

Kitzi said...

I think I'm still depressed over the election, too. Seems like it shouldn't affect me that way, so I've tried to deny it, but there it is.

Cerulean Bill said...

Well, K, I have some extra meatballs left over....or do you have a favorite comfort food that you could lavish on yourself right now?

Kitzi said...

I've been hungry for pumpkin pie lately. Have a feeling I'm going to be VERY homesick on Thanksgiving this year.

Cerulean Bill said...

I've never been a big fan of traditional Thanksgiving fare, but I do share you love for pumpkin. My wife has a recipe for a pumpkin roll that she got from her grandmother, and when she has the time, she makes one. Excellent stuff. You know, you can probably buy a decent pie and have it mailed to you. Not the same as Mom's, but heck, less that you'd have to share, too! (Heard a guy doing a comic routine once about his first day in college, and his new roomie asked if he wanted to split a pie, leaving him wondering: Apple? Cherry? He said they ended up getting two types -- pepperoni and pumpkin.)

Amy said...

Our comfort food consumption is way up. The day after the election it was chicken and dumplings, and tonight is home-made macaroni and cheese. Every time I think I'm over the election something happens to make me realize that I'm not. That something is usually turning on the news or opening a newspaper...

Cerulean Bill said...

Then I imagine that the news regarding the Attorney General triggered a spasm of food searching. I was tickled about that until I thought Well, how likely is it that Bush will pick a reasonable, moderate replacement? As someone, I think it was Leahy, said, in this climate, they could pick and get Attila The Hun approved, so we should probably be glad they didn't.

Good thing I'm having some of those meatballs for lunch -- this time, simmered in Lisa Sauce (for the woman who told us about it) -- an equal mixture of Heinz Steak Sauce and grape jelly. Sounds hideous but it's actually quite good. One of the few times that I'm pleased my daughter doesn't like meatballs.