Monday, November 01, 2004

Light Thoughts

Not knowing all that much about physics, I can be easily impressed by demonstrations of facility there. In The Cuckoo's Egg, by Clifford Stoll, a graduate student in physics, he said that for his (doctoral?) examination, he was asked why the sky is blue, which he answered effortlessly. He was then asked to explain the concepts of diffraction and diffusion, which he'd used in the first explanation. And then he was asked to speak about the effects of diffraction on the molecular level ... you get the idea. I don't think nearly that abtrusely, but this morning, as I was sitting at the breakfast table, I was looking at the light playing on the barn across the field from us. It was a very soft, gentle light, almost a Vermeer quality, and I mused a bit about what causes that quality of light. As far as I could go, though, was 'dust in the air. Or something like that.' No challenge to Clifford from me.

This may be my morning for confusion. Part of it was my dream, last night, wherein I was back in college, trying desperately to make my way through a milling crowd, all of whom seemed to know where their classes were on this first day. I didn't have a clue. I went through the cafeteria line twice, on the chance that it was posted there. I circled the big table that had just tons of leaflets, pamphlets, books, computer printouts, newspapers scattered across it. I went up to the information desk, with no help. I even went outside of the building, into the crisp fall air, and thought to call the main office, asking them where the class information was, only to hear 'Its in the lobby. Where you were.' I never did find out.

Not to read too much into it, but I wonder how much that dream reflected my political thoughts of late. I suppose I ought to be glad that if I was dreaming of school, it was at least college -- if it had been high school, there would likely have been slogans on the walls like Don't WORRY, Vote for KERRY, or Don't be a TUSH - Don't Vote for BUSH. High school slogans are not notable for their elegance of expression. I recall that one poster, trying to get people to come out to be in several plays that the drama folks were doing, said in large letters HEROIN, and then in small letters 'or hero, you should come to the drama department'. That one didn't go over too well with the faculty.

Maybe thats what my subconcious is telling me. We need some adults to be in charge.

.

No comments: