Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Status

Things are looking up, somewhat.

Most of this morning, I walked (okay, hobbled) around without the crutch. Moving slowly, but moving, and able to use both hands to hold things. Still lots of things I can't do, or can't do easily, most involving bending (like, putting on my left sock; I can do it, but it takes about ten minutes and assiduous use of a gripper). And I've come to realize that I have to be careful, and not forget that I am still partially immobilized; I can't just go and do things. That was how I fell in the kitchen about two weeks ago, and I'd just as soon not do that again, thank you very much.

But tomorrow, probably, I'm going to drive my mother to her medical appointment. It's going to look like the lame leading the halt, as the guy with the crutch gets out and maneuvers the walker for the elderly woman, but still -- we think it's doable. We're going to give it a try. And its one more thing -- if it works -- that my wife won't have to do.

Oh, and I'm baking some bread -- a very simple bread recipe, none of the 'complex flavors' or 'poolish' or any of that. I found the recipe in a stack of bread recipes I'd kept. I don't even know how it's going to come out. But hey, I don't care (much). Because I'm baking -- and that's a kind of recovery, too.

No comments: