Thursday, February 07, 2013

Linguistics

I picked up a copy of Linguistics for Dummies the other day, from the librarium, because there was a chapter on learning a second language as an adult, and I thought there might be some hints that could help me.  That section's material can be summarized as:  It's fucking hard. 

On the other hand, yesterday I had my second lesson where I listen to a recording along with my instructor and we work through translating it. This one happened to be about Gerard Depardieu and his winery.  It's not so much his winery, though he does own it; it's the winery that my pal runs for me so that I can pontificate about it.  Though, looking at the sheer size of this guy -- Depardieu is massive -- you get the feeling that he does know food and wine, at least from the consumer side.

When we were done, she said I'd done pretty well.  Now, she always says that kind of thing -- kind of the equivilent of the good job! you give to a one year old who stacked the blocks -- so I demurred -- but, not too much.  Because, just a bit, I actually did understand it. 

3 comments:

yellowdoggranny said...

Gerard Depardieu, sigh*..I used to think there was something sorta sexy about him..then he just kept getting bigger and bigger..like he had a contest going between him and Marlon Brando's ghost..

yellowdoggranny said...

thanks for coming by and saying howdy..

Cerulean Bill said...

The French love him, though....even with this "I'm gonna move me to Russia" stuff. Which, given how big he is, is actually a pretty impressive threat.