Monday, February 18, 2013

Awakening

The first thing I thought of when I woke up this morning was how do you say UNTIL in French? For the life of me, I could not remember.  Finally, I grabbed the small French dictionary that I keep by the side of the bed (not to be confused with the one that's in the car, or the really small one on the kitchen bookcase, or the electronic one that's on this laptop), and looked it up.  Jusque.  Of course.  I knew that.  How could I possibly not remember it?

It's things like that which drive me crazy.  I have begun to move again in my French capabilities -- I can now listen to French-language videos and understand about 10 or 15 percent of them -- but the first time that I don't know how to say something, I think what an idiot.  I should just stop.  Which, in turn, drives my wife crazy.  I say that I'm not a perfectionist but truthfully there are times that I wonder.

And today, the new mattress arrives.  We did the flop-from-bed-to-bed routine at a local mattress store this past Friday, and when we come to this one, we both thought this is the one.  Whereupon the salesman said why yes, you wanted a mattress with a lot of support and a soft top, this brand is one of the best for that. When I asked him what the difference in support levels was between that one and another that we liked, though not as much, he said Oh, yes, that one is good too, but this one will last longer.  Harrumph.

Mon lit, il m'appelle. 

No comments: