Thursday, May 17, 2012

Yes

Most of this post is a direct lift from Bill's Journal.  I must say, I find that I agree with the sentiments herein more than I would have ever suspected.  To hell with propriety.

---------------- 
Someone somewhere this morning uttered the word muse, a word I had not given thought to in so many years. Why not and why now? I could say back when I considered my muse, its comings and goings, with its wildly erratic behavior, its brilliant performance when it was showing off, I could say I was young and foolish. Perhaps a better explanation is to show the muse in action at its best and demonstrated by the Englishwoman, Jenny Joseph, in her wonderful poem, Warning, for I myself have reached that certain age.



When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.

And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.

I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells

And run my stick along the public railings

And make up for the sobriety of my youth.

I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people's gardens
And learn to spit.



You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat

And eat three pounds of sausages at a go

Or only bread and pickle for a week

And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.



But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street

And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.



But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised

When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

4 comments:

Tabor said...

I have always loved this poem...although never brave enough to do some of those things.

Cerulean Bill said...

I know that feeling. I have always liked the 'easier to ask absolution than permission' idea, not to mention 'to hell with what other people think' attitude -- but I don't always have the guts to act on them, and sometimes I regret it when I do.

STAG said...

You can do this. But only when the kids have left home.

When I left the military....

I bought a motorcycle, started wearing jewelry, grew my hair and beard down to my ass and built a blacksmith shop. I got over it a bit after five years or so, (mostly because I started getting hassled by "the man" for looking like ZZ Top, but I still refuse to wear a watch.
I took up a new sport, and attended Renaissance Faires and Comic Book conventions.
To hell with College.

Cerulean Bill said...

Curiously, she's leaving in a month. Assuming she gets one grade up. Otherwise, it's going to be a long summer.