Monday, May 21, 2012

Cheerful

I needed a little cheering up on this glum, rainy day in central Pennsylvania -- my wife's probable loss of her job is a downer, even if we are in a strong enough financial position to weather it.  I just don't like that kind of thing, for several reasons.

So I wanted something that would cheer me up.  This article, which is now several months old (gives you an idea how backed-up my RSS reader is), about a woman who started a small cafe in an unfashionable corner of London, and in the process brought gentrification there, did the trick.  I delight in knowing that such people exist.  I don't have the guts to do it, myself, but that she and others do is wonderful.

3 comments:

Tabor said...

Take a looong vigorous walk and identify at least three animals on the way. Identify one smell and one sound. Guarantee this will help.

Angie said...

I'm sorry to hear about your wife's job but I'm glad you shared that article. My urban planning class was one of my favorite civil engineering courses in college and that article tied right into that interest.

Cerulean Bill said...

Interesting. I shall try it, T. Thank you.

Urban planning is a fascinating area. I don't get to read about it often enough. Of course, what's ironic is that that woman's initiative was the antithesis of macro-level planning.