Sunday, May 27, 2012

Observation

The other day, I was told by someone who should know that I care too much about other people. People who you wouldn't think I would.  People not part of my family. Told rather strongly, in fact.  And it's true, I do. Not everybody, not most, but some people, yeah.  No idea why.  Something about them slips through my defenses.

Like this girl, who wrote a note which appeared on the Post Secret site:

Dear Frank,

Last night, I attended your PostSecret Event at the University of Oregon. Not only was I blown away by you and everything you do and the secrets that others have shared with you, but I was blown away by the community I am lucky to be a part of.

For months, I have felt so alone here. Last night, I decided to share my secret at the microphone. Right after, I received a hug from the stranger behind me. Not a pity hug, I could feel that she really meant it. After the show, I was approached again a few times and received encouraging words from people I knew and also total strangers. When I returned to my dorm room, I was Facebook messaged by an acquaintance, and emailed by a girl whom I didn't know, but recognized me from a mutual class. It was all so touching, honestly.

Here I have been, in my dorm room for months thinking I'm the loneliest girl in the world, while I'm surrounded by this wonderful community of caring people. What I'm really trying to say is, thank you, Frank, for bringing me closer to my community. And GO DUCKS!



I'd just like to give her a hug. Which, no doubt, would creep her right out.

 

No comments: