Saturday, January 21, 2012

Nookie

This evening, we stopped by the local Barnes and Noble, and, while there, looked over the Nook Tablet. For what it is, it's not at all bad. Almost cures me of thinking maybe we should get a tablet...

If and when, the tablet would not be an Apple. Windows, most likely, though I'm open to Android. To me, the iPads are toys -- eyeballing their apps, it looks like easily sixty percent of them are fun things. I can't see paying the Apple Premium for something I wouldn't be able to use to do actual work. Doesn't have to be as powerful as my laptop, of course. If I could single-task functions that I can multi-task on the laptop -- bring up a spreadsheet and modify it, write an email, bring up Skype and GoogleTalk - that'd be fine.

But for fun, just playing around -- yeah, that Nook is not at all bad. It handles well, responds nicely to the touch, has access to the web, including GMail, and works with WiFi. I like that. Though I do understand that it won't download from Amazon, and that's a bit of a bummer. On the other hand, it does handle the library's e-book format, which Kindle doesn't. So -hmm.....

No comments: