Friday, January 27, 2012

Insectoids

The chittering insect overlords who bought my wife's company continue to dismember it with the apparent goal of erasing all traces of it and sending its former employees screaming into the night. Wouldn't be surprised to find them arriving with demolition equipment to raze the buildings and then pour salt where the buildings had stood so that the sites remained as barren and bleak as their alleged hearts.

Last week, they fired another person in her group, and this week, they announced that they're closing the branch of the credit union at her location. And for the first time ever, in a meeting, when my wife said she was overloaded and could not get any of the three concurrent projects that she's slated with done on time, and asked for help, there was dead silence on the conference line. Finally, one very bright guy said that he didn't have the time to help her, but he could spend a few minutes telling her what she needed to do. It's never happened before that someone didn't step up -- which she thinks means that they're all as burdened as she is. And that this one guy was so busy that even he couldn't carve out an hour or so -- that was soul destroying.

She told me that years ago, during a big project (which would now be considered negligible) she was very, very busy, and thought This is terrible. I'm going to quit when this is done. But things improved, and she didn't. Now she's thinking I really don't care if I get fired or not.

And the ship sails on.

2 comments:

Jihan said...

wow, well things will work out in the end, everything always happens for the best, or so I believe.

Cerulean Bill said...

I suspect that if they had the result that they called 'best', it would be "Get all of the contract and the cash, fire everybody, preferably without any form of compensation." Its one of the reasons that I advise my daughter not to pledge her heart to a company that doesn't provably return the sentiment.