Monday, June 13, 2011

Flights

It's a little bit disconcerting to me to realize that what I consider to be a big deal -- flying to France -- is treated almost casually by people under 25. I was thinking of going out for pizza, but instead I'm gonna go to France for a while.

I'm still of the mindset that international air travel is something that you dress up for, even though I know that, depending on the class you're flying, the experience can be hot, tiring, and grubby. My brother in law travels a lot -- I think he's on his third passport -- so for him, it's no big deal to throw clothes into a suitcase and go to China, then down to Australia, over to New Zealand, and back, or perhaps up to Scotland, down to France, a stop in Italy, and back. He's a very neat, precise person; these characteristics serve him well when it comes to packing. He's also short, which serves him well when it comes to fitting into his Designated Passenger Accomodation Pod. Me, not so much. I'm pretty sure I'll have enough room, because we're getting the same kind of accomodations as the flight to London two years ago, with the wider (ahem) seats - and also because my daughter will be sitting next to me, so I can always encroach on her personal space if I feel the need. She's small, too.

Not looking forward to seeing what airport security is actually like - Sir, would you please step over here? -- but as for the rest? Way cool. (How do you say that in French?)

No comments: