Saturday, June 04, 2011

Baggage

This thing is becoming real. We now have three suitcases lined up in the living room, like Poppa Bear, Momma Bear, Baby Bear. The biggest is one that we just bought; it's going to hold my stuff and part of my wife's. The medium one will be my daughters, and possibly the smallest, too. If she takes that smallest bag (which isn't all that small!), my wife will put her remaining stuff into a soft bag and check it.

When we went to London, we did ten days with one large bag (larger than the newest one) and one medium bag. A cab driver expressed surprise that this was all we had for that length of time. This time we're taking three, and possibly four bags. I feel as if we should look into renting some pack animals, too.

Part of the reason for the bags is that my wife tends to think I underpack for trips. I was just going to take one pair of shoes; now it's two. (And at size thirteen, anything but the softest takes up a lot of space.) I was just going to take one pair of slacks; now it's two. (And at my gut size...well. ) I'm bringing a sport jacket to wear when we eat at a 'nice place'. That implies at least one 'nice shirt'....which implies ties.

Did Hannibal have these considerations?

2 comments:

genderist said...

No, but he didn't worry so much about the "nice" jacket or ties. ;) You'll be glad you had them when you look back at the pictures.

Cerulean Bill said...

I imagine the warriors learned to sidle away when he'd say Does this armor make my butt look huge?