Sunday, May 15, 2011

Sunday, Dimanche

Several things to do today.

For one, I have to go through the materials for Tuesday's election. They give you two large black bags that include a white box that's absolutely crammed with forms. The idea today is to go through them, separating them into Stuff I might need and Stuff voters might need. I've used just about all of the forms over time -- possibly not the ones where someone wants to challenge the right of another voter to be there, but that's about it -- and only about half of the directions, guidances, and other documents they stick in there. I was told once that we're actually supposed to post all of the forms, but once you get to the point where you have multiple copies of each one up on the wall, and you still have forms left, I figure its okay not to post them. This is the next to next to last time I'll be doing this. It only happens twice a year, but I still get tired, thinking about getting up at 5AM, worrying about did I remember to do everything - this despite my checklist, which hasn't failed me in the last three election events - and having to tote all that stuff out to the voting office around 9PM. So, this time, then the election in November, then one more primary next year, and that'll be it. I don't want to be doing this in my late sixties!

For another, I have to quickly review the material that my mento is studing in Social Studies. I really don't have a lot of hope for him - he's the classic smart-but-distracted kid. I think he'll be seeing sixth grade again next year.

And, of course, I have to study French. I was moderately surprised this morning to read Nous allons au theatre and realize that it made perfect sense to me. One month, and about 12 Skype-based classes to go. I'm looking forward to the trip, I really am. Not sure what I'm going to do to keep my linguistic prowess current afterwards. I told my wife that we'll just have to go to France frequently. She said or other French-speaking countries. Like Haiti? I asked.

Kind of a glum day at church today. They announced that the pastor had died after another stroke, at the hospice. Made me look at all of the people in the church and notice how many had white hair. And to think about where, in my probable life span, I am. Kind of a sobering thought.

2 comments:

genderist said...

That's a big bummer. Our congregation is mostly white-headded people, too.

Cerulean Bill said...

My hunch is that most traditional congregations are. I don't know what religious organizations -- and I use that term loosely -- are catering to younger populations. Certainly, someone must be.