Thursday, May 19, 2011

Electing

I've mentioned that working at the polls isn't a great deal of fun. Actually, it is -- but not all of it. The fun parts are fixing problems, answering questions, keeping things moving. The not-so-much parts are getting up at 430 so I can get to the church by six... and the process of shutting it all down, with the extensive arrangement of forms and documents. Here's part of my shut-down checklist, as an example:

With all officers, judge signs Affadavit of Voter Identification form (from WHITE BOX) TO: WHITE BOX
Judge signs Record of Assisted Voters form (from WHITE BOX) Files with used assistance-request Declarations TO: ENVELOPE K / BLACK BAG 2 (Note: no Envelope A exists, even though mentioned on Envelope K)
Put 1 complete copy Numbered List of Voters TO: ENVELOPE E / BLACK BAG 2 (Note: there is no Envelope A)
Put 1 complete copy Numbered List of Voters TO: ENVELOPE F >> ENVELOPE B (for Minority Inspector)
Take one set signed Oaths from Envelope G and put TO: ENVELOPE H >> ENVELOPE B (for Minority Inspector)
Put Envelope G with remaining 1 set of Oaths TO: BLACK BAG 2
Judge confirms that Compensation Request forms (including judge's) are completed. TO: BLACK BAG 2 (no envelope is used for this)


There's about 56 steps, overall. None of them is especially difficult, but at the end of a long day, when all you want to do is get out of there, and when there's a certain amount of paranoia about turning the stuff in at the voting office (is this going to be the time I forgot something key?) - well, not fun. I think that if I could do the middle part - say, from around 8AM till around 7 PM - I'd do it. It's the other parts that make me think that when my 'term of office' is up (I put that in quotes because, while I do have a term of office - I was elected for four years - it seems pretentious) - anyway, when it's up, I'll say No mas. Or however you say that in French. No plus?

None of which means I'm not interested in articles about the Next Big Election, and the technology that they're going to use to try and win it.

No comments: