Monday, May 02, 2011

Observations

Bin Laden's death is a good thing, but not a great thing, because it won't stop the tide of hatred that he fomented. It's as much of a symbol as we want to make it.

There's a song my daughter likes which includes the phrase "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but chains and whips excite me." I remember that as "...but whips and chains excite me", but I suppose the difference is meaningless. I always liked that phrase - - and the variant, "Sticks and stones may break my bones....and usually, that's enough". But I have to admit that having my daughter listening to a song with that in it disturbs me, just a little.

I know nothing - nothing - about the realities of high speed rail. I have a vague feeling about how it can be done badly, and some things that can be done to make it effective. I believe that its a great idea that is very difficult to do, fraught with opportunities for boondoggles and politics. But I really know nothing. Except that I totally love articles such as this one.

No comments: