Saturday, May 28, 2011

Blockbusted

I usually think that technology could be implemented better than it actually is. I suppose that's the difference between wouldn't it be cool and the real world.

A few weeks ago, we rented two movies from a Blockbuster Express kiosk. The experience was pretty painless. So when my wife and I thought let's rent something tonight, I thought of doing that again. My wife said she'd hit the place that we went to last time. While she was getting ready to go, I looked at the BBX web site and found an inventory of the movies in their box. Nice. Hey, Mao's Last Dancer -- sounds good. Let's get that, and, what the heck, Vampires Suck. So she went.

First problem was when she called. The machine isn't accepting any of my credit cards. Hmm. Okay, I've got the time, I'll go rent them. You go do the other stuff you wanted to do. On the way, I thought I think that web site said there's a closer one - let's go look.

S
econd problem: The newer one is coming, not here yet. But hey, there's a 7-11 type place right across the street, they've got a competitor's box, let's give them a shot. Ah, rats. No Mao or Vampires. Okay, fine. Lets go to that store we used last time, see if it works for me.

Third problem: It didn't . So, as I have the time, I called the customer service number on the side. Yeah, the box must be broken, the person on the phone said. We won't be able to get anyone out to it for two or three days. Holiday weekend, you know. But there's another one about half a mile from there. Oh, yeah, I had forgotten that one. Okay, allons-y!

Fourth problem: That one is under an awning. It rained last night. Guess where some of the rainwater collected, and dripped? But I soldiered on. Selected Mao; got it. In cart. Selected Vampire. Ah, rats: not in this box. Um, okay. Need something light. Sherlock Holmes, with Robert Downey Jr. Entered credit card info. First movie pops out. Sherlock. Big message on screen: The movie you have selected is not dispensed. Your credit card will not be charged. Gee, thanks.

Technology. It could use some work, y'know?

No comments: