Monday, April 18, 2011

Gimme Credit

We're pretty consistent in how much we charge on our main credit card each month. What with using it to automatically pay certain bills, we can predict about 80% of what the bill will be. But when you're about to use the card to pay for three round trip tickets to France, you know it's going to set off the credit card company's alarms. So I did the smart and reasonable thing. I called the card issuer and told them. Big charge tomorrow. About how much, they asked,and I told them. Okay, no problem, they replied. We made a note on your account.

This morning, I made the first charge - about two thirds of what I told them to expect. No problem. Then I went to charge the second one. Rejected. What? Did it again. Rejected, again. Called them, and got a nasal-voiced person saying Even though you called, our system automatically blocks your account if there is an unusual charge. The first charge was an unusual charge. We have to ask you these questions now.... So I said the heck with it, I'll use a different card. And while I'm doing that, I'll sign onto their web site, see whats going. We're sorry, we are having difficulty accessing your account. Yeah, I bet you are. So I called again. Oh, yes, when your account is blocked, we block access to the web site, too. Security, you understand.

They can't stop drug smugglers moving tons of illicit cash here, there, and everywhere; they can't catch Bernie Madoff before he bankrupts hundreds of people, but me? Got me cold.

Really makes me glad that I did the smart and reasonable thing.

No comments: