Friday, October 07, 2005

Sniffling

One of my co-workers yesterday apparently gave me the gift that keeps on giving. I'd noticed him walking around, coughing loudly, and thought in passing several uncharitable comments, and then this morning, several more, as I realized that I was more than normally unwilling to wake up. One of those mornings when you walk into the kitchen and peer uncertainly around, thinking 'I know there was a reason I came in here...what was it?' Moving slow, thinking slow.

As it happens, Friday is one of the days when I routinely work from home, so it wasn't a bit deal to spend pretty much the whole day in my pajamas. Like the cartoon dog and the internet, on SameTime and email, no one can tell that you're in your pajamas. But by two PM I was starting to feel a little tired, and actually laid down for a bit half an hour later, drifting off to sleep fairly quickly. Tough to do that at the office.

We didn't have much planned for this weekend, though; another good thing, as it is raining now, off and on, and predicted to continue that way for the next two days. My wife and daughter were thinking of going to a Renaissance Faire (is that a copyrighted organization, I wonder? Is there a RenFaire Central? Wouldn't be surprised. I remember when I learned that the reason people announcing ball games talked about licensing from 'Major League Baseball' is that there actually is a corporation with that name, complete and separate from baseball itself. I bet RF has one, too.) If the rain keeps them from it, they'll just go next weekend.

As for me, I'm going to be a little bit adventurous and making chorizo, a form of spicy sausage (patties, not in links). I had found the recipe in a Culinary Institute of America book that I got from the library, and it looks good. Its one of the ingredients in a Breakfast Burrito recipe, and I'd like to make that -- we've been getting pre-made BBs for a while, and though we like them, we've started to feel that they aren't as good as when we first started. Making our own sounds like it could be fun. Not this weekend, though, as it calls for more organizational skills than we tend to have to do that and the chorizo all at once. We'll make that this weekend, and if we make enough, and we like it, we'll make the BBs next weekend. I want to bake something this weekend; not sure what. There are some muffin recipes that look good. (Well, of course; big glossy books like that don't put in recipes that look awful (g); they put in the ones that make you say Hey, I can do that, when in fact they are something that would be easy for a good cook, and somewhat of a challenge for someone like me. ) And we're going to make what I call 'overnight hot chocolate'; you make the chocolate mixture at night, chill it overnight, and then blend and heat it in the morning. And that will be Sunday brunch. I think we can do that.

Looking forward to it. And to being rid of this cold.

No comments: