Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Facing It

I didn't sleep well last night.

This afternoon, I'll be meeting with the mento and the teacher of one of the three classes that he is failing.  We are going to discuss the several papers that he has failed to complete.  The teacher is going to go over them with him, to some degree, and he's going to tell me about how long they should take to complete.  I'm going to tell the mento that he has to start working on them, and that each time we meet I'm going to ask him about them. 

I do not expect that he is going to actually do them, as a rule.  One or two, perhaps.  Not all of them. 

I've told his mother, but apparently the teacher's already done that.  She talks the talk but she doesn't walk the walk.  Which means that for the next however long, its going to be just me, pushing him. Every week.

How do I get myself into these things?

2 comments:

Tabor said...

I do not thank that pushing him is going to work. You have to find out why he does not want to do these papers. Could be many reasons and you will have to drill for that cavity until you find the right one...then you can come up with a strategy.

Cerulean Bill said...

I would rather not push him, but I don't feel qualified to do a psychological assessment -- and the ones who are, pretty much say 'yeah, he's lazy'. I don't think he's lazy; he's just uninterested.