Monday, January 07, 2013

That good?

This is how good Confections of a Closet Master Baker is, ten pages into it.

This lady loves baking.  She's not flashy, not one of these pursed-lips oh this is so marvelous bakers.  She's a good, solid baker, and she talks about it with love and delight.  She describes a row of croissants, just finished rising overnight, with obvious pleasure.  She knows how to make a decent vanilla cake that can stand alone or be the core of something phenomenal.  She's my kind of baker.

I  realize, in the global scheme of things, that counts for little.  After all, she really is a master baker, while I'm doing well to churn out chocolate chip cookies.  We might have flour in common, but that's about it.  And I know, in the next two hundred pages or so, she might turn into one of those Alton Brown/Cake Boss types of bakers. I know this.

But right now, I really like her a lot. Gesine Bullock-Prado is awesome.

-------------
I found her website.  Apparently, she's quite famous.  Ah, well.  I still like the book. 

No comments: